08 July 2010

SCA? What is that?!


                           Ada steals a moment with her hubby                                         Sa'ada dancing her heart out 


These are two of my favorite pictures of friends of mine that are also fellow SCAdian's. I took them back in 2006, again with my point and shoot camera before I ever dreamed of being a photographer. What is a SCAdian?! Well - It means that I'm a part of a world wide organization called the SCA or more formally - The Society for Creative Anachronism. What is that? If you go to our website, the quote at the bottom of the page describes it fairly well, so for that reason, here it is:

"The SCA is an international organization dedicated to researching and re-creating the arts and skills of pre-17th-century Europe. Our 'Known World' consists of 19 kingdoms, with over 30,000 members residing in countries around the world. Members, dressed in clothing of the Middle Ages and Renaissance, attend events which feature tournaments, royal courts, feasts, dancing, various classes & workshops, and more."

That stated - it covers more than just Europe. Most of my close SCA friends and I all take on Turkish or Persian "persona's." And it's WAY more fun than they make it sound. Personally I'm into archery, culinary arts, dancing, and have a great respect for our heavy fighters that put on full armor and beat one another with sticks, HARD! And nothing is theatrical or choreographed, it's all as real as can be. I once wanted to be a heavy fighter myself - but just can't seem to get the time to go to any events these days. 


A few pictures of me that my friends managed to take, there aren't many as I tend to be the one behind the camera:








No comments:

Post a Comment